Monday, July 6, 2009

Manchester United signs Gabriel Obertan

This young French winger from Bordeaux is the second wide player bought by Man Utd this summer. This obvious that Sir Alex Ferguson is trying to stay away from the "big name-big money" transfers and going for the best deals for players. I think this has something to do with Real Madrid spending as much money as possible. I believe Sir Alex does not want to compete with Madrid, as seen by the Man Utd target Karim Benzema going to Real Madrid because of the huge amount of money Madrid threw at him.

I think Antonio Valencia and Gabriel Obertan are good young players. I don't think that they will make an immediate impact at Old Trafford, however. I want to say that it will take them a few months to get used to their new teammates and then around November these players will begin to contribute on a weekly basis.

Having become aware of Antonio Valencia during the World Cup 2006, being one of Ecuador's most important players, I have seen him play a few times for Wigan in England's Premier League. I have not seen Obertan play, ever. A few days ago was the first time I have ever heard of him. I looked up clips of him on YouTube to see what this 20 year old is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT4KomzcwvM

He needs to work on his shooting, but it looks like to me he knows how to find wide spaces, beat players one-on-one, and get into positions to deliver dangerous crosses. I'm excited to see how he will develop under the coaching wings of Manchester United.

I still don't think either of these two players are the heirs to the vacancy left by Cristiano Ronaldo.

No comments:

Post a Comment